Saturday 4 June 2011

CLAPTON + WINWOOD @ THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL



As Tuesdays work was drawing to a close, I got a sudden invitation to attend Eric Clapton with Steve Winwood at The Royal Albert Hall (cheers wig). How could I turn that down? I still had a few bugs to go, so I stuck on EC's Unplugged, and hastily finished up my work.

These guys may have been playing the circuit for quite some time now, but they've definitely still got it. Winwood started out on the organ, and was great. Clapton's guitar playing was flawless, and both main vocals were spot on. The sound in the place was MASSIVE, while managing to be crystal clear throughout.

They played for about 2 hours in total, (including an unexpected 20 minute cover of Voodo Chile) and even managed to rouse the audience of baby-boomers onto their feet for the electric finale. I didn't know all of the material they covered, but I actually enjoyed that stuff more than some of the stuff I'd heard before. The low point of the set was probably Layla, which just felt a bit flat and overplayed. Wasn't expecting that to be the case.

After the set we went to the bar, and paid £4 for a bottle of beer. Seemed a bit excessive, so we left shortly after that. All in all it was a good night with two of the greats, both of whom I never expected to see live. I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment