Saturday 21 May 2011

SNOOP DOGG @ KENTISH TOWN FORUM

Snoop Doggy Dogg's Doggystyle has been one of my absolute favourite albums for such a long time. It's actually pretty close to being my all time top record. I seriously love it. Everything on that record sounds amazing, and (with the exception of Pump Pump) they're so easy on the ears.



So on Tuesday I got to actually go and see the man himself. I was pretty apprehensive, his recent releases being far below the high bar he set with his debut. I was preparing myself for a massive let down. In the end though, everything turned out great.

First up was Beardyman, a beatboxer from London via Brighton (whey) who I also had never seen before, and he started out well. He can make an amazing range of sounds using only his voice, and his set varied from hip-hop through DnB to Dubstep. The hip-hop was great, the dnb was ok, and the dubstep was pretty average, but he did good as a warm up. He got pulled off stage eventually, and to take his place we had about 45 minutes of Snoop tracks playing through the sound system, which was pretty unorthodox... This went on for so long that by the time Snoop appeared they crowd were booing and whistling.

yep, that's a QPR top

Eventually though, he did appear, and he was great. He played a load of classics, Gin and Juice being my personal favourite, a fair few covers ranging from Biggie to Tupac via Nate Dogg, and a couple of new ones, which fell pretty flat tbh. Fortunately he didn't dwell on these for long though, so overall it was a great night.

Rapping along to tracks which I've rapped a hundred times before never felt as good as doing it at the same time as the man himself, and it was an experience I'll never forget. He did a great selection of tunes, the sound was pretty good (way better than Wu-Tang anyway) and it was quite a show. The whole place was on their feet dancing and rapping, even in the upper seated section, and the vibe of the place couldn't have been better.

This was definitely the best gig I've been to so far this year (closely followed by Entrepreneurs). I might have to get a Lovebox ticket now, as he's playing Doggystyle IN FULL! If you're a fan of Snoop, and get the chance to go see him, just do it. It'll be worth it I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment