Thursday 14 April 2011

ENTREPRENEURS @ THE MACBETH


Last Friday was the launch of Stella Mortos, a new record label from the man behind Shattered Satellite, (a now defunct but in it's time fantastic music blog) and to celebrate he brought Entrepreneurs, FOE, Evryone and a host of DJ's along to The Macbeth in Hoxton for a night.

The venue was completely rammed by the time I arrived, and having made a wrong turn on the way I missed most of Evryone's set. I did manage to catch their last song, and having seen them before I thought it all sounded a little off... The keys, normally the driving force behind it all, were pretty much absent, and it all just felt a bit empty, which was a shame really. I'm still reserving judgment on these guys. They've got something but I'm not sure what exactly it is yet.

After a fag it was FOE's turn. FOE seem to be on the receiving end of a fair bit of hype at the moment, and they've just released their first E.P on Stella Mortos.

Hot New Trash EP by FOE

I hadn't seen them before, and I definitely liked what I heard. There were a fair few handbags whacking me in the groin at the time trying to ruin it for me, but eventually I managed to get past that and I enjoyed their set. Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on what happens next with these guys, I expect to see them in the NME within about 6 months. (If, that is, they haven't been already. I don't tend to read that particular magazine).

After this, the venue was literally full to bursting point. If I had a choice of venues to watch bands do their thing, I definitely wouldn't pick this one. Struggling to see an act because you're stuck behind shitloads of people who act like they're not that bothered by the music just isn't that fun, although I guess the sheer density of people did create an atmosphere of sorts... Seriously though, I struggle to stand still when I'm watching a band I like, but most of these guys were pretty much glued to the spot. I don't get it, dancing's FUN. At least nod your head a little, honestly it makes a big difference.

Anyway, next up was Entrepreneurs, the real reason I came along. (Careful, that site will hurt your eyes). Entrepreneurs, one of many projects by Adam M Crisp, is an act I've been pining after for some time, and he definitely didn't let me down. It was loud. It was messy. It was definitely not easy-listening.

It was great.

Check out their most recent EP below:

Bubblegunk / Fuck Tactics by Entrepreneurs

Honestly, I can't think of a single thing Mr. Crisp has done that I haven't liked, and here he is again making noise that I love. Seriously this guy has talent, and if you haven't heard his stuff I urge you to give Entrepreneurs a go.

Then once you've done that, go check out The Premarital Sect, Elle Milano and Psirens as well. Seriously, it'll be so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment